Heed the call of Thompson Okanagan for one-of-a-kind experiences
Explore snow-capped peaks, rolling ranchland, national parks, wandering rivers, refreshing lakes, abundant orchards and vineyards, and a desert rich in history. Discover why the aboriginal people have honoured this area for centuries. Wildlife abounds in the raw beauty of the Thompson Okanagan. Come experience it for yourself.
1 Mount Robson Provincial Park and the Berg Lake Trail
Near Valemount, Mount Robson is the Canadian Rockies’ highest peak and part of a UNESCO World Heritage site. The Mount Robson Visitor Centre offers walking trails, souvenir shopping and opportunities to photograph the spectacular panorama.
2 Explore Wells Gray Provincial Park
Marvel at the distinctive waterfalls cascading down the mountainsides in Wells Gray Provincial Park. White water rafting, scenic floats and family fun await.
3 Take the Do You Believe In Magic tour
Experience the vistas of Helmcken, Dawson, and Moul Falls. More than a rafting trip, it is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream come true — a part of the Destination Canada Canadian Signature Experiences Collection®.
4 View Wildlife at Blue River
Whether you travel by motor coach or book a jeep or river safari, Blue River’s high concentration of black bears offers visitors the unique thrill of observing this magnificent animal in its natural environment.
5 Canoe and Kayak on Murtle Lake
Advance booking with a local adventure operator is recommended for the unequalled experience of this Nature Conservancy in Wells Gray Provincial Park, the largest non-motorized lake in North America.
6 Ranches and the Gold Rush Trail
Located near Ashcroft, mile zero on the road to the goldfields, Hat Creek offers tour groups a convenient rest and meal stop. Step back into the historic west of the 1800s — take a stagecoach ride, pan for gold and discover history and culture at the First Nations village. Further to the southeast, experience the history of cattle ranching at Historic O’Keefe Ranch, a heritage site near Vernon.
7 Champagne Powder in the Thompson Okanagan
Sun Peaks Resort, Silver Star Mountain Resort, Big White Ski Resort, Apex Mountain Resort and Mount Baldy Resort are all accessed from well-maintained highways. There’s a flurry of winter activities in our winter wonderlands. Experience the thrill of heli-skiing, strap on some snowshoes, hop on a dog sled or try Nordic skiing, snowmobiling and ice-skating. Then luxuriate at a spa and relax with a multitude of dining options.
8 BC Wildlife Park and Conservation/Rehabilitation Centre
This Kamloops attraction features over 65 species including a rare Kermode Bear or Spirit Bear. Food services are available at the park. The park is located near three major highways as well as Kamloops’ services and other attractions such as museums, wineries and beaches. Onsite RV camping.
9 Luxury West Coast to the Rockies Rail Tours
Choose a luxury domed coach with full-length windows or a large picture window. Either way, the view is stunning on the Rocky Mountaineer. Travel by daylight several times a week from Vancouver to Banff, Lake Louise or Jasper from May through September. Ride aboard the iconic Canadian from Jasper to Vancouver with Via Rail. Trains run twice a week mid-October to May and three times per week May to mid-October.
10 Natural Wonders, Houseboats and the Heritage of the Shuswap
Every year in October, visitors watch the Adams River turn red as the Sockeye Salmon return from the ocean to spawn and die. Every fourth year a festival celebrates the big return of millions of salmon at the Roderick Haig-Brown Park. Take the Salmon ‘n’ Wine Discovery tour in Salmon Arm to experience the full spectacle. Houseboating on Shuswap and Mara Lakes is a world-class experience that provides a luxurious and comfortable base for wine touring, mountain biking, all water sports, fishing and relaxation. Experience First Nations’ Kekuli Interpretive Storytelling and Paddle the Path of the Salmon and other experiences at Quaaout Lodge.
11 Okanagan Bucketlist
- Join Josh Foster, Canada’s most renowned ski pro, for a five-day ski performance camp at Big White Ski Resort.
- Stay and play some fabulous golf this season and take a golf clinic with former LPGA golfer A.J. Eathorne at Predator Ridge.
- Rejuvenate with a wellness package at North America’s leading health and wellness resort. Sparkling Hill boasts 3.5 million Swarovski crystals. Experience their signature spa treatment — North America’s only cold sauna at −110°C.
- Enjoy a culinary demonstration, a legacy vineyard tour and tasting at Mission Hill Family Estate Winery finished off with a private dinner with wine pairing and complimentary bottle of wine.
12 Experience the Bounty
- Discover pyramid power at Summerhill Pyramid Winery, Canada’s largest certified organic winery and dine while overlooking Okanagan Lake.
- Explore five of the south Okanagan’s great wineries with customized tastings. Take the Grand Estates Winery Tour at Inniskillin, Jackson-Triggs, See Ya Later Ranch, Sumac Ridge Estate Winery and Nk’Mip Cellars.
- Spend a day at Mission Hill Family Estate Winery. Twice named Canada’s winery of the year. Dine at their world-class outdoor restaurant.
- Savour an Okanagan wine and culinary experience with an alfresco vineyard long table dinner or enjoy a variety of the outstanding winery restaurants located in many of the wineries around of the region.
- Delight in the Okanagan’s numerous unique farm experiences from Okanagan Lavender Farm, Arlo’s Honey Bee Farm, Davison Orchards or Covert Farms.
- Craft breweries, cideries and spirit producers are open with tasting rooms and tours to add a new twist to your wine tour.
13 Cycle Hike or Stroll — The Kettle Valley Rail Trail
Get off the beaten path and onto a former railway bed by cycling the scenic Myra Canyon near Kelowna. This section of the Kettle Valley Railway built for steam trains features 18 trestle bridges and two tunnels. It’s an easy ride for active tourists. Local tour operators can set up bookings for groups or independent travellers. Bicycle rentals are available on site.
14 Journey Through Canada’s Desert
Experience Canada’s only desert at the Nk’Mip Desert Cultural Centre in Osoyoos. Learn about First Nations culture inside a traditional pit house. Explore the desert ecosystem, and then experience A Culinary Journey Through Canada’s Desert as passionate organic farmers personally guide groups through Covert Farms. Enjoy farm-fresh Okanagan food paired with local wines at the Watermark Beach Resort’s wine bar and patio.
15 Steam Powered Heritage Railways
Take a trip back in time as you ride behind restored steam locomotives on the last remaining sections of the Kettle Valley Railway line in Summerland and along the South Thompson River in Kamloops. The Kettle Valley Steam Railway and the Kamloops Heritage Railway offer visitors a range of tours on historic passenger coaches including open air cars. From Summerland, journey back into history as you experience gorgeous view of Okanagan Lake, orchards, and vineyards. In Kamloops, you’ll be transported to days gone by as you learn about the region’s western history.